Hypnogogic and Hypnopompic Dreams

Dreamer: Jason, 21, North American male

I have a generic question about dreams I have. It's a state of sleep/dreaming. I have these dreams when I'm just waking up, where I am not sure whether I am still asleep or awake. I have been looking for a name for this phenomenon, if you would be so kind as to just tell me I would be a very grateful little known college student.

Mr. Hagen's Reply: Hypnopompic and Hypnagogic Dreams

This phenomenon is more common than one would assume. When you're waking up it's called "hypnopompic" dreaming... if you are just falling asleep... it's called "hypnogogic" dreaming.

The psychical researcher F.W.H. Myers coined the term "hypnopompic" to cover dream phenomena occurring when we wake from sleep. The term "hypnogogic" was coined by the 19th-century French psychologist Alfred Maury, and is derived from two Greek words, hypnos (sleep) and agogeus (guide, or leader).

There are numerous websites that can provide information. For a good read see Mardi Horowitz "Image Formation and Cognition"

Hope these thoughts are of help and provide some insight,
Mark H.

All material Copyright 2006 International Institute for Dream Research. All rights reserved.